Friday, May 13, 2011

The Monkey you don't need....and other ways to deal with this insanity we call life

  On this blog o' mine, I like to share things that have worked for me, and that includes spiritual concepts. Confession time: I am addicted to self-help books. They have helped me through many a long dark depression by challenging the thought-cycles that I get stuck in.  If this is not yer cup of joe, no worries. Come back in a couple days to a week and I'll have something different. If you are down, pour yourself your favorite beverage, load yer bowl if you're a spiritual toker, and settle in. Keep reading, and I offer ANOTHER recipe.
  My concepts of spirituality are just that-concepts. I don't believe in "one true way" or guilt or shoulds or any of that bullshit. My spirituality concepts and coping mechanisms are very similar to my mom's idea of putting together a soup- throw in what works, leave out what doesn't. If something resounds with me, I try it, and if it works, I keep it, and I share. Today I am sharing some concepts from some books that have helped me through  my recent explosion caused by going cold-turkey off Cymbalta and simultaneously starting on the Pill after being off it for a year. (For those of you who are wondering, REALLY not a good idea.)
  Getting to know your painbody.
 The painbody is a concept pulled from Eckhart Tolle's books The Power of Now and A New Earth: Awakening to your Life's Purpose. The painbody is the monkey on your back that dwells on every bad thing done to you and why your life sucks. When you're irritated at your life-partner and you start thinking about all the things they've done to piss you off and you can feel yourself getting madder and your muscles tightening, that's the painbody on your back. When you're laying in your bed spooning your good friend insomnia, and you start thinking of all the things you need to do and pay for and how the time and money on hand don't match up, and how much you suck, and your life sucks, that's your painbody. Your painbody likes to wallow in the pain of the past, and the worry of the future. It's the spiritual vampire you carry around with you. The good news is that you can stop giving that bitch on your back cookies and get your hijacked brain back.
   Space and practicing non-attachment.
 Practicing non-attachment to your ego means that you are aware of the parts of your identity that don't work for you. When you start to feel a negative thought come up, don't identify with it. Just observe it. Create a space where you can breathe deeply, whether it is some jackass or yourself that just called you fat/ugly/stupid.
You will begin to see how practicing space and non-attachment to your ego helps you out in other parts of your life, like your relationship and your time at work or school. When your partner or boss criticizes you, you don't need to identify with the negative aspects-take the suggestion and move on. This practice is all about celebrating the sights and smells and people and experiences in your life RIGHT NOW. Be careful if you find yourself dwelling on the past or the future. The painbody can find their way in with all the worries that come with most people's pasts and futures. Part of practicing non-attachment is not judging yourself, your partner and the people you bump into. Respect the common humanity in everyone. Don't put labels on yourself or the people in your life, just appreciate them. This does not mean not standing up for yourself. Put on yer stompin' boots if you need to and hold yourself tall with the knowledge that whatever label they are putting on you, you do not need to try on. It's not your style. And as Tolle says, the quickest and cheapest getaway is making time for yourself to have a couple of deep breaths. Give yourself these mini-vacations as often as possible.

Recommended Books
The Power of Now and A New Earth: Awakening to your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle
How to be Sick:A Buddhist-inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and their Caregivers by Toni Bernhard
Meditation Secrets for Women by Camille Maurine and Lorin Roche

 And the recipe! These were pronounced "pimpalicious" by my partner, which is a word he rarely uses, so you know these are good.

                                             Pimpalicious Granola Bars (feel free to rename :)

       Ingredients:
 3 cups quick-cooking oats (be sure they're gluten-free if you're oat-sensitive)
1 cup shredded coconut
2 tablespoons softened butter
1 14-oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 cup of any kind of nuts you want. (I used about half and half walnuts and hazelnuts, with some slivered almonds.)
1/2 cup or so of chocolate chips. This would also be good with peanut butter chips, or dried cranberries...well, you get the idea.

 Preheat yer oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 pan. Dump everything into a large bowl and use your WET hands to mush and blend it together. You may have to lick your fingers at the end. Such is life. Now use your hands to squish it into the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. These are fabulous right out of the oven, but still good cool, of course. Enjoy!


That's all from me, you guys. Be good to yourself and each other. Remember to breathe.
Hugs,
Rachel

2 comments:

  1. So much goodness here! I read "A New Earth" but not the other Tolle book. But it did change my life! I allowed me to finally break free from my ego/inner critic and just be happy for once. It was such a mind fuck though, it took me awhile to get through it and "see" things differently. But I often suggest it to anyone going through a transition in their lives. Good stuff! Love the sound of your granola bars. Keep the good stuff coming! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The other Tolle book is broken into more easily-digestible sections, I think. Also, it's smaller :) I don't know how I would have gotten through some of the more difficult parts of life without books - books have literally saved my life :) Thanks for the encouragement! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete